The Graeme Miles Memorial
This competition, to commemorate one of Teesside's greatest songwriters, will award a trophy and a cash prize of £250 to the writer of the best song entered. The presentation will take place during the Sunday Folk Concert in the Spa Hotel where the winner will be given the opportunity to perform the winning song before a concert audience.
The Competition is hosted by John Rankin and Colin Wilson on Saturday 11th August 2018 from 1:00pm at Saltburn House.
1. Entrants must have purchased a Saltburn Folk Festival 2018 weekend ticket. Stewards, Festival Guests, Day Ticket Holders cannot enter this competition.
2. Entries must be handed in to the Festival Office by 12 noon on the Saturday of the Festival. If possible, please supply 3 copies of the words. This will help the judges with their deliberations.
3. Entries are limited to 2 per songwriter.
4. There will be a draw for the running order which will be displayed in the room where the competition takes place. Individual performance times cannot be given, but performers will be expected to be present when it is their turn or otherwise will forfeit their entry.
5. The songwriter must be part of the performance, but does not necessarily be the lead performer.
6. The competition will be judged on the merits of the words and tune and not on the standard of performance.
Please observe the usual courtesies of a singaround.
The judges’ decision is final.
For further information, contact Paul Lucas on 07980093898 or email John Rankin
Jordan Memorial Trophy
This competition is part of "The Big Sing" Hosted by Ray Padgett and Glen Osborne from 1:00 pm until 4:00pm on Saturday 11th August 2018 in the Marine Hotel. The winner will be presented with the Fred Jordan Memorial Trophy to keep for one year together with a replica of the trophy and a cash prize. The presentation will take place during the Sunday Folk Concert in the Emmanuel Church Hall where the winner will be given the opportunity to sing a song before a concert audience.
The bronze Trophy must be returned to the festival office in time for the Competition in 2019.
1 Open to male and female competitors over the age of 18
2 Held at Saltburn Folk festival (check the venue please and time)
3 One winner regardless of gender
4 Trophy held for one year to be returned for following years’ competition. Cash prize donation (see below) award and a statue of Fred Jordan in bronze resin to keep
5 Entrants will fall into two categories this year (2018): Weekend ticket holders and non ticket holders ~ the non ticket holders will be able to compete on equal terms and be awarded the Fred Trophy, and statuette and a prize money of £50 on winning
The weekend ticket holder will qualify for the Fred Trophy, Statuette and £250 on winning
6 All entries to be in by the time that the competition draw takes place, no late entries please, once the running order has been determined that is it!
7 judges appointed by Saltburn folk festival
8 Decision of the judges is final
9 Traditional style is traditional song in English from Scotland, Ireland, Wales or England or in the style of traditional song such as Alan Bell, Keith Marsden etc any queries please ask the judges before the competition!
10 Sing your best two songs consecutively when asked to perform at your turn
11 Enter the competition in the spirit of friendship and furtherance of the art of Traditional song singing for your enjoyment and that of others attending
12 Minimum quorum of 5 singers is necessary for this Annual competition a maximum of 15 entrants is needed annually
13 Judges reserve the right not to award the Trophy or prize money should the singing standard not be attained
April 30th 2018
Details from Ray Padgett on 01226 284927
The Colin Kemp Memorial Prize for the Best Dressed Tent
This competition is held on Sunday morning on the campsite (where else?) at 10:00am.
The Judges will roam the site incognito (for their own safety) from the crack of dawn and then descend on the winning tent with great gusto and the prize of a weekend ticket for next year's Saltburn Folk Festival (no cash alternative).
Saltburn Folk Festival
Office, 57 Marske Road, Saltburn-by-the-Sea, TS12 1PN